Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm home! (Day 2)

I'll post more about yesterday later tonight or tomorrow sometime (I'm feeling a bit spaced out), but right now I'm feeling pretty good. The only complaints I have are the hip from the bone graft (ow!) and my throat is really, really sore.
I'm pretty positive that my lefort (upper jaw) was only a 1-piece because I don't have a splint (though, it's SO WEIRD to feel the roof of my mouth with my mostly-numb tongue without feeling ANYTHING on the roof-of-the-mouth side). I did have the genioplasty (if you look in that picture of me right after surgery, there's a funny sign that my surgeon wrote "do not touch chin"... cracked me up. I also had the lower jaw surgery - and everything went much quicker than expected - no problems at all. I'm banded really tightly shut, but only in the front so I can squirt food in the sides.
I'm home, loving the ice, dozing off a lot, and watching my face morph into something truly amazing - the bruising is already getting dark and I am SWOLLEN! Can't wait to show you guys pictures.
Thanks for all the support. Love you guys!
Day 2 pics:



5 comments:

sjp said...

Steph, we love you! Glad to hear you are doing well right after surgery. I am so happy to hear that you don't have a splint, you will be so much more comfortable that way. Keep up the fluids and get your rest! The swelling will probably get worse before it gets better, you are smart to love the ice packs. Hope you progress this week and that your hip starts to feel better soon. Show us some pics when you feel up to it! YAY for being on the other side!!!

Katherine (Kate) said...

Amen! to all the above!Nothing like getting back into your own space. I am SOOOO happy for you that you don't have to worry about the dreaded splint, and YES! it IS weird with the roof of the mouth numbness. Lol, That's hilarious with your surgeon's note~ gotta love the sense of humour!

So happy that everything went smoothly, Steph and it's even better to see you back. The throat will be the bane of your existence for the next little bit, but keep drinking, it does go away. Now get back in that chair, give your poor hip a break and catch a snooze! Cheers to 'Crossing Over' :)

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad the surgery went well and you're feeling good and added bonus on the no splint part!!! Like Stephanie said, lots of fluids and rest and you're swelling will probably peak in a few days. (mine did around day 3 I think) It will be amazing how big your face gets, but don't worry, it does go down! Look forward to seeing those glamour shots!

So happy you're doing well. :) And Happy 4th of July!

Rainne said...

Wow, I can see a HUGE difference in your profile already, even with all the swelling. Can't wait to see what you look like when all the swelling is gone!

Melinda said...

I just got back on here...I have a lot of catching up to do! You look totally weird btw, thought you'd like to know. ;D But seriously, wow, you have a chin!! I can see it already! (that was one of the changes, right?)