Sunday, December 9, 2007


Can I just say that I'm a bit nervous for my intake appointment with the oral surgeon on Tuesday? I am more nervous that she will say I need to wait until I have different insurance than about the jaw surgery - while I know this will all be painful and horrible, it will be worth it in the end and I've waited so long for this... I don't want to wait any more!

My insurance isn't right for the oral surgery part of all of this - it turns out that if I had picked plan 1 instead of plan 5 (exactly the same, it seemed, except plan 5 had less coverage for mental health [I wasn't worried at all], and a much smaller deductible and a smaller co-pay [both large benefits], so I picked plan 5). It turns out that plan 5 considers this surgery cosmetic and doesn't cover it, while plan 1 covers 95%. Damn - but hindsight is 20/20.

Now, everything rides on the SARPE (Surgically Assisted Rapid Palate Expansion).... in my research online, this is usually done early on - first thing, even. Will my insurance cover this? If not, can we afford to do it without my insurance covering it? If I need it and my insurance does not cover it, and we can't afford it, it looks like my braces are put off by a long while - until next October 1st, at least. Gah!

I just wish it was Tuesday already.

No comments: