Saturday, December 1, 2007

The beginning!

I had braces when I was younger.... elementary school and middle school I did spacers, braces, headgear, bands, the whole bit. I didn't wear my first retainer after my braces came off, so I was stuck in them again for a few more months to refine. The orthodontist didn't trust me after the first round, so he put in a 'permanent' retainer, only to have it fall out a year and a half later, and we didn't have it put back in because my teeth were staying. Four wisdom teeth coming in later, and I have crooked teeth (more crooked than before?) once again.

I've been wanting to get back into braces for a few years now, but haven't had the insurance or the money. Finally, I'm out of school, my husband and I are both working great jobs, and I have insurance! So, I do research online, decide on the Damon Braces system, and make my appointment.

It was last Friday. At the appointment, I was informed that I needed orthognathic surgery on my upper jaw, possibly my lower jaw, and that my upper palate needed to be widened, as it's just barely half of the width it should be.

I am frankly scared of all this, though am gung-ho. I want my teeth to stop getting in the way of my clarinet playing. I want to stop being a mouth-breather. I am ready for straight teeth (and a straight jaw, apparantly).

My appt. with the oral surgeon is on the 11th of this month. I have a final "sign-the-paperwork-here's-your-treatment-plan-pay-us-now" meeting with the orthodontist on the 20th, and then I get braces on January 21st.

I'm scared, but excited.

No comments: