Thursday, January 7, 2010

bone graft kiddos...

I forgot to post this last time, but I went in for my yearly physical last week and my doctor and I talked a lot about my surgery. When she noticed the scar on my hip I told her about the bone graft and she asked if I had been massaging the incision site. Apparently once the incision site is healed it should be deeply massaged twice a day for the year following the surgery - it will prevent too much scar tissue from forming and improve the muscular function, range of motion, and tissue health/ healing - even though my surgery was 6 months ago it's still healing.

So I started to massage it twice a day and sure enough, it's definitely still healing in there - very tender when I dig my fingers in and massage. I'm already feeling looser in that hip when I run - I've been struggling a little bit as I get my mileage back up I feel like my gait is a bit uneven coming from my right hip.

So, if you have a bone graft from anywhere but your mouth - good to know! :)

2 comments:

Kiwikaren said...

Sounds like great advice Stephanie ... and it's something that you can easily do. Wish I'd known about the massage thing when I had a big stomach/bowel surgery 20+ years ago, coz I have a hard lumpy scar from my breast bone to below my navel.

Good luck with your healing continuing to go well!

Dental Implants Cost UK said...

Nice blog thanks for sharing Dental tourism