Friday, June 12, 2009

I love the ER, and the ER loves me

The migraines took an unexpected turn for the worse this week. I was at school throwing up on Wednesday on field day (yuck), so right after I went home we went to the ER. Spent 6 hours and could only get my pain down to a 3 or 4 (out of 10). The "big guns" narcotics just aren't working for me - in fact, they seem to be making everything worse.

On Thursday I had the massive migraine all day while bowling and skating with the 8th graders at my school - came home, napped, thought I was feeling better, and then Nick accidently moved my arm that was pressing into my face. Seriously, that's all it takes anymore - I almost puked immediately, I couldn't move, finally fell asleep with my hands pressed to my jaw in complete agony.

This morning, woke up, thought about going to the ER but I don't have any more sick days and since the husband is home but not working we're a little short on cash - but it did me no good. I got to school and the pain was so bad I couldn't form complete sentences so another teacher drove me home and Nick drove me straight to the ER where we spent only 4 hours. With lots of narcotics that don't make it better.

My hand (from the IV on Wednesday) has a giant bruise. My arm is a GIANT bruise because the poor nurse today was new and I have hard veins to find anyway... she had to root around in there a lot to find the vein. OW!

I don't know what I'm going to do, or how I'm going to survive the next two and a half weeks. I went to my regular doctor this afternoon and she just kind of said "well, good luck! Jaw surgery is in 2 and a half weeks!"

Great. Lord, help me. I don't know if I can do this.

3 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

You're just not going to catch a break till this is all done & over with, are you? That S-U-C-K-S! I know it's no help, but I don't think you have a choice but to do this, even though it's hell. I wish there was something to say or advise to give, but if the big drugs aren't cutting it, I'm useless. I feel so very badly for you but that's no help either. Crap, I'm sorry to hear it, Steph. 2 more weeks, girl, 2 more weeks. *hug*

ps. happy to hear Nick is back home safely :)

Meredith said...

Hi Steph,
I just started following your story. I'm working towards surgery and work in middle school too, and I have to say, I'm SO impressed that you can get through the day with the amount of pain you have. I know that middle schoolers can give you a headache at the best of times! If you can get through this, I'm sure you'll be an AMAZING teacher when you don't have the pain to deal with as well.
I'm excited for you that surgery is coming up, but I'll be hoping and praying that the migraines give you a break before then. Good luck!

nabukay said...

you have to do it. even if you're really sick from the dreaded migraines and you feel like you don't have the strength. and you will do it. cos you worked too hard and came too far not to do it. good luck sweetie you can do this.