Tuesday, August 26, 2008

do. not. freak. out. (yet).

While I was initally pleased (understatement of the year, right there) about my new teaching job, now I am freaking out. I just got back from my new hire orientation, where I learned that my new school district has a really messed up version of insurance. And instead of getting a plan for free in my old school district that would pay for 95% of my jaw surgery, I don't know if it can get covered at all. Two of the five plans cost me 237.00 a month, one costs 25.00 a month, and one costs 45.00 a month (the final is group health, which isn't an option). Now, don't get me wrong, it'd be pretty darned good insurance... if I didn't already have a surgeon that I love and that is working with my orthodontist.

I don't know what to do with myself. I called the patient coordinator to HELP, but they were already out of the office. I'll call again tomorrow. And since my husband is doing the whole army thing come January, his current insurance can't help me even if it did cover more than my own does.

If that weren't bad enough, my new dental insurance doesn't have any coverage for braces. So I owe an additional 400 dollars at the end of my contract now. I asked the benefits coordinator why, and he explained that through their other dental plan (Willamette), braces only cost 400 dollars. Yeah, but they only offer traditional braces, and they have terrible service.

So, I'm panicked. In the next week I have to set up my classroom, get prepared for the first week of classes, pack up my entire apartment, move to a new apartment (possibly unpack?), get my insurance stuff worked out, and.... breathe.

(just breathe).

No comments: