Thursday, August 21, 2008

adjustment today

As I said in my post yesterday, I had a lot of questions going into this appointment. But my orthodontist is so great - he read my mind before I could even ask them!

I will be surgery ready in.... are you ready???? APRIL! However, I can't take time off of school, so surgery will have to wait until June. But what a relief! He also explained what will happen in my next few appointments - the next appointment is a long one, repositioning brackets and getting my first set of stainless steel wires. After that, the focus will be on closing my lower gaps and achieving as much width in my lower arches as possible. He says that while they are working on my upper jaw, it's not as big a priority because it's going to be widened in surgery.

School gets out on June 16th with the 17th-20th being possible snow makeup days. I will probably shoot for the last week in June to give me time to prepare. My mom has a ton of vacaction time, luckily, so she'll be able to come up and take care of me the first week or two (my husband leaves for National Guard training in January, and will be gone for a year to two years in California... with no way to take time off). Thank goodness she'll be able to help - otherwise, things would be scary.

He also gave me a few splints, hoping to curb some of the severe migraines I've been getting lately from my jaw. They're pretty neat - I'll post pictures when I get a chance, and let you know how they work out.

Oh, and the gums? Looking fine. Whatever.


Kiwikaren said...

Fantastic news that your surgery can be at the best time for you and your work!

Here's to your appointments continuing to go smoothly.

Anonymous said...

So it's a date for June! Excellent. Like you, I was ready in February/march but waited til June because of school. It's great having a date to look forward to, even if it's not totally finalised.


Stephanie said...

Good luck with the new job and eventual surgery! How come Nick has to be gone for so long?

stephanie said...

Because he's going to a defense language school in California through the national guard, either learning Farsi or Arabic. It's a complete immersion school, so they don't really allow time off... I had the choice to go with him, but decided to stay so I could have jaw surgery here with my ortho/ surgeon, etc. (Plus a whole host of other reasons, of course).