Sunday, May 10, 2009

countdown begins

I like to stare at my countdown clock lately. It makes me feel strangely peaceful. It's funny - I can't say that I ever thought I would be joyful looking at a countdown to someone sawing apart and re-arranging bones in my FACE.

The surgery is going to be wretched, the recovery process long and difficult, and I will hate every minute I'm not able to sleep or eat or drink or talk or chew or move. I'll want to cry when I see my swollen face and I'll be scared about my nose changing or whether or not I'll like my face once the swelling goes down.

But at the end of it all, I will be able to chew steak. I will be able to eat a gummy candy and not get a 3 day migraine. I won't have this terrible jaw pain and all of these constant, aching migraines.

The migraine that I am currently getting (will probably be full blown tomorrow, great timing with one performance of my own and 4 for my students) doesn't seem as bad because I know that in 51 days I might not ever have a migraine again. (Probably not, but you never know!).

Hurray!! I'm on cloud 9. STILL.

4 comments:

laura said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

After the insurance crap and the migraines and everything else you've been though, the surgery and recovery might end up being comparatively easy.

Katherine (Kate) said...

Har! I hear you with the clock~ who'da thunk suck a simple, everyday object normally taken for granted could be the object of such delight ;) It's been a hard won victory for you~ Soak it all in! :)

anothe WAHOOOO! for good measure.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Just had the surgery last week. I'm new to all this blogging but just wanted to say hello! and good luck! :-)

Ananda Devika said...

I am so happy for you - I've told several people about what an ordeal you've been through trying to get this approved and everyone is rooting for you! Yea to eating steak! :) I can't wait either.