Monday, December 29, 2008

ready for the next year

I have goals. Before my surgery, I am determined to do the following:

1) Keep healthy. I have been more susceptible to colds and flu's this year than ever before. I know it's probably due to all of the new germs at a new school, but I would like to be better about taking vitamins to do some preventative work.

2) Get healthier. I'd like to get back into running - I ran a 10k just two months ago, but then with my new job and all this illness and jaw pain and migraines I've let my training slack. I'm not terribly overweight, but I know that excess weight can hinder recovery and your reaction to anesthesia.

3) Stop complaining and focusing on pain. Now that I am in an upswing and have started to be able to control my migraines and extreme jaw pain, I need to stop focusing on it. It has [unfortunately] become a part of my life, and I need to get over it - it'll make me a happier person.

4) Find foods that are both sore jaw friendly and healthy OTHER than soup or anything that resembles soup. I am 6 or 7 months away from surgery and I already despise the stuff. I eat it every day for at least one meal, sometimes two. I need to figure out how to get more vegetables and fruits in without causing more pain. (And of course, soup is the best way. UGH!).

5) Become more familiar with the surgery I am about to undertake. I'd like to know exactly what's going to happen inside of my mouth so I can prepare myself as best I can. I especially want to research more about wind instrument playing after surgery.

Here's to a good next six or seven months.

4 comments:

Alli Kat said...

Have you ever poached fruit? Pears or apples are the best - just get some water boiling, dunk them in for a minute or two, and then serve with a little sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar on top. Nice and mushy! Or make some homemade applesauce.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph! I started reading your blog a couple weeks ago. I had a lower jaw advancement surgery with genio in june 08 and I play the flute and tenor sax. I had quite a hard time getting back to normal with the flute because of the numbness in my lower lip.. I had to totally re-learn how to play. My sax, though, I could play almost normally within a week of starting back up again. It was just details like volume and pitch that took some time to get control over. Hopefully that gives you some idea of what to expect- if you have ANY other questions, feel free to ask :)I will for sure be checking up on your blog! Good luck with everything,
~Danielle

stephanie said...

Danielle! I would love to email you and ask questions.... what is your email? (or, do you have a blog?)

Thanks!!
Steph

Anonymous said...

My email is
feel_alive911@hotmail.com
if you ever have any questions :)
Ask away and I'll answer as best I can! And no, I do not have a blog- I contemplated making one, but never got around to it- and there isnt much point doing one now.. So I just read other peoples. Hopefully that isnt too creepy haha.